Saturday, November 22, 2008

Proposition 8


I helped with the 'Yes on Prop 8' campaign. I worked as one of four team leaders for my zip code. Our family spent every spare moment trying to do something to help: making phone calls, posting signs in people's yards, reposting signs after the initial ones were vandalized, organizing lists, sending emails, posting data on the computer, talking to people, and waving signs. The kids have really stepped it up so that Norm and I could have more time to devote to Prop 8. I feel like I am still getting caught up!
The whole process and the aftermath have been interesting. I thought that my opinion was pretty mainstream on various topics - those that I associate with all pretty much share the same opinion. I didn't realize that my opinion was not the mainstream opinion in the rest of the world. After the election, I realize that we ARE different from the world. I feel like we have had a glimpse of the persecutions that the early Saints faced. This time we have had the support of law enforcement to help defend our temples and other property. We have even had those of other Faiths speak up in our defense. There are lots of comments and accusations flying around out there. Most of my friends have the same opinion as I do, so in my social situation I don't have to deal with my beliefs being challenged. But the kids are in the middle of it! Especially Tayler. There have been comments made by teachers and classmates that have been derogatory towards our Faith. It seems like degrading Mormons is the 'in' thing to do. We spent an evening in Family Home Evening addressing the things that are happening. We talked about the early Saints and how they were driven from their homes and their property was taken from them. We talked about responding in a Christ-like manner. We read through the 'Proclamation' on the family. This document amazes me! How perfect it is! The fact that we have it is not coincidence. The fact that we've had it for years so that we could become familiar with it, so that we could share it with the world is not coincidence. I am grateful for revelation! I am grateful for leaders that have given me tools to help strengthen my family. I worry as I send my children out into the world that they have what is necessary to weather the storm. I am grateful for the gospel and the guidance that it provides for me and my family.

No comments: