We recently had a family over to visit. They have a quiet, dainty, pretty little girl and a new baby boy. When they walked in and found Bradin standing on top of the table, the husband quietly asked the wife - "Is that normal"?
I started thinking that our version of "normal" is probably not most people's version of "normal". So I decided to elaborate about what life is like in our house because we have a crazy two year old. Here goes: Bradin learned that the kitchen chairs can be slid around the room so that he can climb up onto the cabinets - consequently the kitchen chairs are bungied together around the table. Then he figured that bar stools can be slid around - consequently the bar stools are stacked on top of the bar (we look like a restaurant closed up for the night). Then he figured out that he doesn't need a chair or a bar stool, he can use the drawers of the cabinets as toe and finger holds to climb up - I don't have a solution for that - yes the drawers have latches on them. The dishwasher has a latch on it because he would open the dishwasher and jump up and down on the door. The fridge has a latch on it (which he broke and Norm had to epoxy it together, epoxy is construction's version of super glue). Any writing utensil is quarantined and on lock-down. Bradin is going through the phase of writing on anything with anything - walls, clothes, carpet, books, etc. Leaving a pen, pencil, crayon, or marker laying around is a punishable offense in our home. Most of the doors in our house have a baby handle on them and are kept closed: each kid's room, our room, the laundry room, the door to the garage, the front closet, and the pantry. In addition to having a baby handle, the front door also has a high latch that is kept latched all the time (yes, we have found him outside - somehow he escaped).
Although we have a trampoline and Bradin is really good at jumping on it, everything else that resembles a trampoline in the house is used as such: beds, couches, etc. He loves to stack the pillows on the floor and jump off of the couch onto the pillows.
Our schedule is extremely flexible. If Bradin starts having a meltdown at any given moment, the day's plans can change instantly. It has been a very long time since we have gone to the movies together as a family, because Bradin can't keep it together for that long. If we get a chance to go out to dinner, we try to go on a weeknight, and very early 4:30 or 5:00 pm. That way we get faster service and we can get in and out before the "window" closes. Bradin has a good arm and everything is thrown. Balls, cups, clothes, toys, EVERYTHING! And somehow anything can be used as a weapon. One day Norm came home and I was frazzled - the exact words out of my mouth - "I am just tired of being shot at, and having everything thrown at me". Two year olds - they are soooo much fun - especially this one. He has earned himself the nickname of "Destructo Supremo" - he is like a whirlwind, obliterating everything in his path. The only way I survive is knowing that this phase too will eventually pass, and someday I will look back and laugh. I like to be able to point out to the other kids that they had this exact kind of behavior and I lived through them. Bradin - YOU are CRAZY! And we love you!! You keep us on our toes! :)





8 comments:
I am tried just reading about Bradin!! Oh the joys of motherhood!!
I laughed through your entire post! I was all prepared to write how thankful I am that Luke is out of that stage only to hear a comotion in the other room and Luke is stuffing food into the dog crate. I guess with some kids the fun never ends.
I'm sure someday you'll appreciate his determined persistance and problem solving ability - just not when you're legaly and financially responsible for his well-being! How boring life would be without him!
Wow...you just explained Malakai. THANK YOU! I feel so much better...because my other two were NOTHING like this. I was petrified that this may not be a phase. P.S. if your office is what you consider messy... you don't know what messy is.\"/ Drop in at my house on a Sunday afternoon or Monday morning...on the other hand....please don't. I would be too humiliated to answer the door.
Yessss, the Destruction that only a two year old can provide. They certainly make life interesting and challenging. My daughter just let me know that now that her boy is walking, he is becoming "more of a little boy". Welcome to motherhood...it gets better and better doesn't it! Love Tayler's smile of accomplishment.
Boy did that post make me feel better :) I am not alone :) You have got to love little curious boys :) Have a great day!!!
Hi Kris!
Found your blog through Cassie's! It was so fun to take a few minutes to see what's going on in the life of your family!! Time sure does fly! You and Norm are doing a great job raising those four cute kids!!
Have a great day,
Jen
Oh my goodness, is this what I have to look forward to times two? I am giggling to myself as I have just remembered that Jeremy will be the stay at home dad during those terrible twos. Hee hee. It's a good thing Bradin is cute, right?
Post a Comment